Spurs Related

NBA Team Blogs

General NBA

NBA Stats

Sponsors - Tickets

ABC tickets has premium Spurs basketball tickets and tickets to other teams like the Sixers, Orlando Magic tickets, Dallas Mavericks tickets and NBA Allstar game tickets.

05 February 2005

Chris Webber Analysis: An Introduction

Before I begin the data acquisition and number crunching, I want to layout the goals of my study.

Goal One: Determine the effect, if any, of Chris Webber's shot quantity on the offensive production of the Sacramento Kings.

Goal Two: Compare the offensive and defensive effectiveness under two conditions: when Webber plays and when he doesn't.

As a sort of mini control group, I am going to do the same analysis in Goal One for Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson and Shaq (Miami season not included). I will include Iverson and Shaq in the study in Goal Two.

I picked Duncan and Shaq because they are elite players who don't shoot a whole lot, comparatively speaking. Iverson, of course, shoots a ton, but on a team lacking talent (unlike Sacramento). These three players have also played on teams that were relatively static for the past three years; no huge additions or subtractions. Finally, both Shaq and AI have missed a large amount of games in the past three years.

Mathematically speaking, the study will be simple (more on that later). Also, it is quite possible that a similar study has been done before. I don't care. This is my idea of fun.

San Antonio Spurs Blog is not affiliated with the Spurs organization or any major publication.
All content copyright Matthew Powell 2005.